Saturday, February 19, 2011

Growing up and growth spurts

As I alluded to in my previous post, Kyleigh was/is driving me nuts because she wasn't/ still isn't feeling well. Yesterday after having a fever free morning, Kyleigh's fever returned this morning. As my patience with Kyleigh has been running low today, this comment reminded me that as much as she is clingy and whiny when she's sick, she won't be my little girl for long. She was on my lap whining and restless. I set her down to go check on supper, when she asked what was for supper I said corn dogs she replied in a very grown up voice "Corn dogs sound good for supper". She has regressed some with the potty and is pooping in her panties but still goes pee. She took a nap this afternoon and peed her panties while napping and woke up immediately and felt bad that she had an accident. Kyleigh isn't liking me much lately she's prefers dad or Danielle our neighbor. Yesterday Mark commented that she would get to go to Danielle's today. When Kyleigh asked "Now?" Mark said, "No, tomorrow". Kyleigh then crossed her arms, pouted, and threw a fit. She did this twice before Mark left for work because she wanted to go to Danielle's. So now he's not allowed to say the "D" word because she'll get upset. Unfortunately she didn't get to go to Danielle's today because she had a fever.

Mason so far has eluded the sickness. He in fact must be going through a growth spurt, I can't keep the kid fed. Which is very welcome considering where we were 5 months ago when he wouldn't eat much and kept losing weight. For breakfast all week he's been eating 2 packages of flavored oatmeal made with soy milk. To each package I add 1/3 c. of plain oatmeal. Juice, and 1/2-whole grapefruit. He's been eating a lot for supper and will eat 2-3 pumpkin bars for dessert. On Thursday I ordered Cherry Italian Ice from Schwans for him and he'll eat the whole 8 oz. cup in one sitting. I've been making some food with small amounts of milk in it and so far he's tolerating it. Today we had mac & cheese for lunch but I used soy milk and butter. We got Mason signed up for baseball today.

Valynn is still sick. I sent her to school on Friday and they called me about 11:30 to come get her, her fever returned. She had a growth spurt about a month ago. Her growth spurt included 2-3 waffles for breakfast, juice, and a grapefruit. She dessert of choice was an ice cream bar from Schwans. Unfortunately this illness doesn't have her in the mood to eat. Frozen blueberries seem to be the only thing she likes. She has napped the last two days so I know she's really not feeling well. Valynn decided not to play softball this year.

Kyra has been fever free for two days now. She rode her bike yesterday and it's amazing the coordination she gained over the winter. She was riding her bike up and down the road yesterday. Mark and I have been going back and forth about whether we should send her to Kindergarten next year or keep her at home for a year. Kyra will turn 5 on August 21. The cut off date in Illinois is September 1st. Right now I'm thinking we will keep her at home. In some ways she is so ready for Kindergarten, she's starting to read and sound out words, her vocabulary is phenomenal, and she's doing simple addition. But, every once in a while she'll do something that reminds me, she is only 4 and would benefit from another year of maturity. She will throw a tantrum or get mad about something. She also likes to nap occasionally and wouldn't get a chance if she's in school.

The kids have been missing Mark and he's been missing the kids. He's helping me keep my sanity as much as he can this week even thought he's stressed between work and school.  The only night he was home was Monday night because his group had a presentation to prepare for on Thursday night. He's been gone today meeting with his group and tonight he's attending a Pheasants Forever Banquet with some friends, which is a welcome break for him. I came home from basketball with Mason and Mark had the breakfast dishes washed and the dishwasher running. A very pleasant surprise. Tomorrow we get to have family day. I'm sure it'll include a few games of Sorry, a family favorite right now. I'm ready for revenge after last nights games, I got 4th both times. Mason won both games. It's been a good game to play because Kyra understands the rules and strategy so she can join in with Valynn and Mason. Speaking of Sorry, I promised the kids a game before bed. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment