Monday, October 22, 2012

Birthdays and stuff

I'm a little behind so first off

HAPPY 11th BIRTHDAY VALYNN!!!
For her birthday she had four friends over to help her celebrate. She had fun and two of them spent the night. We heard phrases like "You are such cool parents" and "Your house is so fun". It makes all the hassle worth it. I'll post pictures later of the party. She had apple pie instead of cake and I scored points in the talented mom category because I put pie crust starts on the top instead of a whole crust. We won't mention it was because I was short of pie crust because I ran out of shortening from baking cookies with the boy scouts earlier in the week.

Last week was Mark's lay off week. We started working on the basement. He cleaned walls, cemented in the cracks and painted with a seal tight on a portion of the basement. He went on Mason's field trip on Wednesday to a farm in Princeville.

Thursday was Parent teacher conferences. We started with Mason. No complaints or problems with him. He scored high on his standardized test they take at the school.. He scored in the 80th percentile in reading, math and language arts. He is reading at a level S. Teacher is very happy with him, he's polite, well mannered, and helpful. (I'm not sure she had the right kid, ha ha).

Valynn's conference went well also. I'm sure I'm mentioned it but Valynn has been struggling with Math (how that's possible with parents with the degrees we have we're not sure, =)). So we started out the conference with this concern and her teacher said, I understand what you are saying she struggles with basic operations but if you look at her standardized score she  scored in the 99th percentile. She knows how to problem solve and must know her basic operations otherwise she wouldn't have scored so high. He was stumped as to what to do with her as well. We then brought up her not turning in her homework and once again he said, I understand your concern but her not turning in her homework isn't a concern for me because she knows her materials and usually has done it, she's just unorganized and loses it. She also scored in the 97th and 98th percentile on language arts and reading. Valynn is struggling this year but we think it's in part to her teacher making sure she is challenged.

We had Kyra's conference this morning. We were unable to get her standardized scores because of a computer glitch but should get them soon. The teacher said she is doing wonderful. She speaks when it's appropriate, she is one of the consultants in the class which means if someone has a question they can go to her for help. She is reading at a high level and passed the basics facts of math and reading.

Needless to say, a couple of proud parents.

Back to last Friday. It was the boy scout camp out. Thursday night we went and bought a new tent since our old one broke. We splurged and got an 8 person tent. Friday morning we did a test set up (it would be embarrassing if the den leader couldn't set up his own tent). Friday night we camped with the boy scouts, it rained and had lows in the 30's. Can you say cold and miserable and the kids thought it was fun and want to do it again.

Saturday due to exhaustion from lack of sleep and freezing our butts off, we took it easy. Sunday was crazy. The kids and I left for church at 8:45. We had Sunday School, I didn't have to teach so I headed to the service where the potential new pastor was giving the service. After the service we had a pot luck and then the council interviewed the Pastor and his wife. After the interview we had a council meeting (this whole time the kids entertained themselves and were the angels I needed). I had to leave at 2:00 to get home at 2:30 to leave again at 2:45. While the kids and I were at church Mark went to a co workers Naval Commissioning Ceremony. At 2:45 we left for the reception while the kids stayed with a sitter. Mark and I decided to take advantage of the sitter and then went to the movie Argo. Upon arriving home I noticed Charlie's water was outside but I couldn't see him so I went to take his water in and he wasn't inside either. The little Houdini escaped from his enclosure. Valynn and Mason came to help in the hunt, we didn't think he would go too far. Just as we were about to give up for the night we found him in the front yard. He did go further than we thought he would but he stayed in the yard like we expected.

Today has been one of those days that I need a drink and it's not even noon. Valynn missed the bus this morning, not a big deal since we were headed in to the school for Kyra's conference. Only for Valynn to realize she didn't do her homework and left books at home. For me to get home and not be able to find the books but notice she forgot her flute. So back to the school I went with that, only for Valynn to tell me she forgot her stuff at school not at home. I finally got Kyleigh to school, 10 minutes late, because it was raining so hard I could hardly see the road. It is now between storms so I'm headed off on my run before picking Kyleigh up.

And one final note
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK! We will have his birthday supper tomorrow since tonight is so busy.


No comments:

Post a Comment