Sunday, January 8, 2012

Time Flies

Time flies when you are busy, busy, busy. We had a great Christmas. We attended the candlelight service at St. Timothy Lutheran on Christmas Eve. All four kids held candles (can you say nervous parents). We came home and had supper of Tempura Shrimp and Walleye (I know, it's no lutefisk but Mark wouldn't let me order any). The kids seemed happy with their gifts. Valynn got the Animal Crossing game for her DSi. Mason got a Beyblade game for his DSi. Kyra got a DSi and Kyleigh got a shopping cart. As stated in my previous post I got a new vacuum cleaner and then I got a replacement popcorn popper because the cover of the one I got for Mother's Day has melted on me. The kids' were just happy I got to open a gift, I say it doesn't count because I've already received it once. Needless to say, Mark and my real present is out front, the retaining walls.

On December 28th we took the kids up to the Shed Aquarium in Chicago. Sadly this is only the second time we've been to Chicago since we've moved here but it's so expensive. We left at 6:00  in the morning and got up there a little after 9:00. We spent the whole day at the Aquarium. The kids had a great time and saw a lot of fish. We bought a membership (when you have a large family the membership is cheaper than buying tickets). We saw Jellyfish, turtles, sea lion, dolphins, and beluga whales, among many others. After the aquarium we met a high school classmate of mine for supper. The kids played for 2 hours while we ate and visited. They were so well behave my classmate said we could stay with them the next time and they don't have children. We got home around 10:00 that night.

Mark was busy working on windows over break. He took the wood off around the windows and painted it white and then added new trim around the windows. They look very nice and definitely update the look.

We had a very nice break but the kids were ready to get back to school on the 5th, Mark went back the 3rd. This weekend Valynn has a basketball game 4 miles from the Iowa border. Today was church and a council meeting.

Over break Mark and Mason have watched all the Star Wars movies. For Christmas the kids got a rocket set from Mark and I. Yesterday we got to launch them. I don't know who had more fun Mark or the kids but I was told I need to buy more engines.

We have another busy week ahead of us. Tomorrow Valynn and Mason have piano lessons. After lessons Mason has Boy Scouts. Mark is in charge of the project tomorrow night, bird houses. Valynn and a couple of other Girl Scouts from her troop are making the snack for the boys. Should be a fun night for them. If I haven't mentioned it, Mark will be taking over as leader for Mason's boy scout troop starting in June but he's already being "trained". He had his first committee meeting last Thursday and is excited to be involved with this activity. On Tuesday I have a PTO meeting, this might prove interested because it's a joint meeting with the PRIDE organization. Wednesday Valynn has BB practice and then Valynn and Mason have CCD.

Basketball is going OK for Valynn. She wasn't playing much before Christmas so Mark called the coach to ask if it's supposed to be equal playing time or if they have to earn their position. The coach said it was equal playing time so Mark mentioned that Valynn hasn't been getting equal time. The past weekend Valynn played quite a bit more, unfortunately the other benchwarmers didn't seem much time which was the original point of the call. We are also upset about the fact that Valynn has been playing the post position. If you know anything about basketball you understand that Valynn doesn't have the height to play the post position and chances are she never will. This also means she doesn't get much of an opportunity to touch the ball. She is still enjoying it and with Valynn physical activities don't come easy so it's a learning process.

I am hoping to work some more now that the school has done away with the automated system. I am working tomorrow morning. Kyra and Kyleigh have school this week and both are excited to go. In fact today when Kyleigh was mumbling I asked if she talked to Miss Deanne that way and she told me, quite clearly, "I love Miss Deanne". We are still discussing which preschool to send Kyleigh to next year but we're leaning toward St. Edward just because we've had such good luck.

I think that sums up the last couple of weeks. We missed not spending Christmas with family this year but it was nice being home and getting this accomplished.





 Climbing at Shedd Aquarium
 Scuba Dive at Shedd Aquarium
I apologize for the sideways movies. This is from Valynn and Mason's piano recital. They didn't practice playing We wish you a merry Christmas together which is why it took so many tries.

 Animal show
 Beluga Whale
 Dolphin



Someone didn't make it the whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment