Thursday, October 13, 2011

Valynn is 10!

Wow, can you believe that? Valynn turned 10 yesterday. She is turning into an amazing young lady. School is going well for her except in math. Last week she was the only one in her class to get an A+ on the Social Studies test. I don't think she even studied, which makes me feel like a bad parent after talking to a couple of parents with kids in her class that failed the test saying they studied with their child for a couple of nights leading up to the test. When I say she's not doing well in math, that's not entirely accurate, she still has an A in the subject, it's just that she's struggling with it. She has already started on simple algebraic equations 4l=16 or c + 10 = 12. For some reason she can't grasp these equations, yet if I put the equation in story form she solves it no problem. Today she had a career fair at school, she research being a veterinarian, created a poster, made a hand out, and dressed up as a vet and gave a speech about it. She said it went well.

Last night I worked the PTO bookfair, it went good and I came home with a few books for the kids. One of the books I got was a science book and I read part of it to Kyra and Kyleigh. There was a section on space where it talks about space being a vacuum. Kyra then asked "If space is a vacuum can you talk or do you have to have a space helmet on to talk". I didn't know whether to be proud that she could deduct that sound doesn't travel in a vacuum or chagrinned that she was concerned about being able to be heard if she's in space. Kyra is really starting to pick up reading and likes to read to Kyleigh. In face, she can be a little too helpful. Kyleigh has homework every Wednesday after preschool. When we get home Kyra has Kyleigh get her homework out and then tells Kyleigh how to do it or as the case this week, does it for Kyleigh. The preschool teacher just laughs when I tell her that technically Kyleigh isn't doing her own work but we both agree she is still learning.

We get Mason's biopsy results tomorrow. He's been getting headache at school so we are trying to figure out what might be causing them, they aren't so bad that I need to pick him up and they aren't long lasting.

Last weekend was relatively quiet, we didn't have to go anywhere or do anything on Saturday. On Sunday we went to the Catholic church and then I had a council meeting at the Lutheran church so Mark took the kids to Panera for bagels. We watched the Vikings game when we got home and then we went for a family bike ride on the Rock Island Trails. We biked from Wyoming to Toulon which is about 4 miles one way. We stopped and had a picnic on a bridge on the way back. Monday Valynn and Mason had their yearly check up. They are both doing good, and then the old three kids had to get shots. Kyra is almost ready for Kindergarten, she just needs and eye exam which we'll get next summer. Monday night was piano and Boy Scouts. Wednesday night was CCD. Tonight is swimming which I think I forgot to mention, two weeks ago at swimming I reconnected with a good friend that I lost touch with about 10 years ago. She was the one who gave me a ride to work every morning when I was subbing and couldn't drive after my accident when I was pregnant with Valynn. It was great to reconnect with her.

Tonight is Mark's last class and he is done with his MBA! We are so proud of him and all of his hard work. He gets two chances to pass this final, which he has to do in order to graduate but I'm sure he'll do just fine. Tomorrow Kyra has school, we're meeting some friends at McDonald's, picking Mason up from school for his doctor's appointment, and then meeting the Cub Scouts for a wiener roast at a Boy Scout camp. Saturday Valynn is having a sleep over for her birthday. Sunday I'm teaching Sunday school and then it's the bratfest for the Lutheran church.

I can say I am done with the directories for the most part. I delivered them to the schools on Tuesday. I did get a phone call today that the bus drivers normally get directories for each of the buses and vans so I had to order some more directories, but those will be easy to deliver when they come in, I can send them with Valynn and Mason when they get on the bus.

Have a great weekend, I'll post pictures of the birthday girl this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment